Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Miami Boat Show

Well, it's almost Valentine's Day and here in South Florida that means one thing. No, not chocolate hearts. Nope, not a dozen red roses. It means it's time for the Miami International Boat Show. So, if you've ever had the unfortunate experience of dragging (and I do mean dragging) your children through hours of boat show boredom (for them, of course) then I have the perfect idea for you! I came up with this a couple of years ago when my husband and I were shopping for a new flats skiff. We wanted to cruise and peruse the show but our plans were met with a chorus of "boos" from our three kids. At that moment I had a day-saving revelation and I'm going to share it with all of you other moms. I've seen you, yes I have, with that look of tired frustration on your face as your husband chats with a salesperson and your precious little monster tugs at your arms and whines and basically just acts miserable.

Here's what I came up with. Stop by any store that sells film (Walgreens, Target, whatever...) and grab disposable cameras - I have three kids so naturally I grabbed three. Then make a list. You can certainly tailor it to fit your age group but here's the basic jist of what I came up with. (My kids were 6, 7 and 9 at the time.)

BOAT SHOW PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT

  • American Flag
  • Pirate Flag
  • Person wearing blue mirrored sunglasses (you can't throw a rock at the boat show without hitting one of these!)
  • Mercury engine
  • Race boat
  • Sailboat
  • Dog
  • Baby in a stroller
  • Someone drinking a Coke
  • Taxi

So, you get the picture. The longer the list, the better. You can enlist the help of your husband - mine came up with some very creative ideas! Whoever got the most pictures of items from the list would be the winner. And for the rest of the day, they were completely occupied! And...let me tell you, the price of getting those cameras developed was worth the priceless stack of photos. Seeing the boat show through a child's camera lens is really something!

I hope this tip helps you navigate your way through the boat show. Be sure to stop by the "Ladies, Let's Go Fishing!" booth to say hi.....In fact, make sure it's on the Scavenger Hunt list!

Jenn

LLGF Headquarters

http://www.ladiesletsgofishing.com/

No comments: